*These steps apply if you are planning on relocating to Utah*
- You call the 24-hour birth parent line.
- You receive your yellow friendship packet in the mail.
- You complete the white forms in the packet; obtain a proof of pregnancy and doctor’s name/address/phone number (if available). You then mail the white forms back to Act of Love in the envelope provided.
- A telephone coordinator calls you on the phone to let you know we have received your information.
- You receive your next blue friendship packet in the mail.
- You complete all the white forms in the packet and mail them back to Act of Love in the envelope provided
- You receive a weekly call from an Act of Love phone coordinator who will assist you with any questions you may have and set up a telephone counseling session with a licensed counselor. Your coordinator will also assist you in determining the date and mode of transportation to Utah*
- Your phone coordinator will make the necessary travel arrangements and keep you notified of these details.*
- You arrive in Utah! You are met by your new birthparent coordinator. She assists you in getting settled here and grocery shopping right away.*
- Your birth parent coordinator provides transportation to counseling visits, physician appointments, grocery shopping and other places you need to go.
- If you desire an open adoption, you will receive adoptive family profiles to review. You will receive counseling and assistance through the process of your choice. You may further interview families over the telephone or in person (when possible.) You then select a family. You may discuss with the family your wishes surrounding the birth of the baby.
- Your baby is born. It is your choice whether the family is there with you or not. You may also decide whether you want to spend time with the baby after the birth. Your counselor will talk with you during this time and go over what you are looking for in a family so you are comfortable with your decision.
- There is a form called the Affidavit of Relinquishment and consent to adoption. After signing that form you will no longer have any parental, legal, or custody rights to your child. This document in Utah may be signed 24 hours after the birth of your child. You will have the support, love, and understanding you need through this process.
- You rest and recover for a short time. You may continue counseling appointments during this time. You begin making plans to return home or to a new location of your choice.
- Travel plans are made. Your coordinator assists you in getting to the airport/bus/train station.
- We wish you well. If you adoption is open, you will receive correspondence through the agency. If you adoption is closed, we hope that you will keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Adoption counseling through act of Love is always available to you as a birth mother.